It has begun. The season of Lent.
I felt a deep call to really put a big focus on the Stations of the Cross. I don’t recall as a child doing the Stations of the Cross. But I want my children to recall this beautiful prayer which I hope that even after lent, we can keep praying it.
To ponder, to live, to breathe, to love the way of the Cross!
Our Blessed Mother took up this prayer, every day She relived the passion of her beloved Son.
There are many cute activities to do for the kids at home the Stations of the Cross. I will share a few below as well the one that I have created. I don’t plan for this to take place of actually doing the stations at the church. I plan to use these throughout the week to teach them about it so that when we are at church, they can understand better and have that hands-on activity from home come alive in the church.
Also by praying the Stations of the Cross, one gets a plenary indulgence.One has to be actually moving from station to station where they are legitimately erected and while meditating on the passion and death of our Lord (Enchiridion of Indulgences, #63).
Yet, those who are not able to visit a church may gain the same indulgence by piously reading and meditating on the passion and death of our Lord for one-half hour.
I created this simple Stations of the Cross – Wreath so that the kids can feel more involved in this beautiful prayer.
Here is the list of the items that you can easy get at Dollar Tree/Walmart. I link the same items that you can get from Prime Amazon.
- Purple Paint.
- Sponge Paintbrush (that is for just 1 at $2.58 or you can get a set of 10 for $5.98)
- Chalkboard Woo Stakes (those are $8 for 20 stakes which aren’t so bad since I had to buy 4 packs at Dollar Tree to get 14 )
- Green Foam Floral Rings, 10 in. (nothing much on Amazon, best to get at the Dollar Tree for $1)
- Purple Ribbon $2 – Amazon or $1 Dollar Tree
- Purple candle and candle glass holder (again nothing much on Amazon, best to get it at Dollar Tree $2)
- This Stations of the Cross or this one to print out.
- Block of purple Cloth (Walmart for $2)
- Scotch tape or Laminator with sheets
Here are the basic steps to create the Stations of the Cross/Lent Wreath.
- Paint the green foam ring purple.
- Print out and cut the stations and either laminate them or use scotch shipping tape.
- Tape them to the Chalkboard stakes.
- Once the foam is dry, use the ribbon to loop through the ring.
- Place the cloth in the area of your home that you would like to set up, place the ring on the cloth, place candle in the middle. Now you have your lent wreath.
- When you are ready to pray the Stations of the Cross, place a stake at a time in the ring or you can place them all in order and remove each station as you pray that one.
Here are other simple activities that you can do with the family in praying the Stations of the Cross.
Last, I bought 2 of these beautiful Stations of the Cross Chaplet from Morning Glory Beads. I am so excited about using as I pray the Stations.
I pray that you have a fruitful lent so that you can have a joyous Easter.
With the Love of Christ,
P.S. — Check out these Pro-life Lent ideas for the whole family.